Sending a Message to a Pager/Beeper
You can use a pager or beeper alias as a forwarding address for a user ID. (You will enter the beeper or pager alias name in the Forward box on the General tab of the user properties.) Then, when the user ID receives mail, the pager or beeper is activated.
"Forwarding" a Message to a Pager
After a pager alias is set up, anyone can send a message to the pager by entering the specified alias in the To: field of an email message. The pager will receive up to the Maximum Size (number of characters) of the mail message.
To have IMail Server automatically forward a user's mail to a pager:
- Set up a pager alias as described in "Adding a Beeper or Pager Alias".
- Expand the mail host and Users folder, and select the user whose mail you want to forward to a pager.
- On the user's General tab, enter the pager alias as a complete mail address (in the form email@example.com) in the Forward text box.
- (Optional) To leave a copy of each message in the user's mailbox and forward a copy to a pager, precede the address with a period and comma (.,) using the format:
Note: If you forward to a pager, be sure you don't have the pager alias set up to send a copy of the message to the user's account, or else the message will get into a loop between the user account and the pager.
Sending a Message to a Beeper When Mail Arrives
If a user sends a mail message to an alias defined for a beeper, the predefined beeper code is sent to the beeper, alerting the recipient that they have received a new mail message.
To automatically beep a user when an email arrives for that user:
- Set up a beeper alias as described in "Adding a Beeper or Pager Alias".
- Then, on the user's General tab, enter the beeper alias as a complete mail address (in the form firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Forward text box. Precede the address with a period and comma (.,) using the format: .,email@example.com
Note: You must enter the period and comma in order to leave a copy of each message in the user's mailbox. Otherwise, the user will just get the beeper notice that mail has arrived, but he won't get the mail.