Less than 2 years ago, the WhatsUp Gold user community was shut down and relaunched from scratch as WUGspace. We decided that it was time for us to really focus on the user community by providing a platform where users could post questions, share their experiences with the software and as network managers, and connect with other like-minded individuals. There is also sections dedicated to helping users get the most out of their WhatsUp Gold installation as well as areas on extending the functionality through the use of the scripting abilities. WUGspace is also where users get exclusive access to all of the free tools produced by Ipswitch’s Network Management division.
When I closed the previous forum platform to launch WUGspace there was a little over 2000 members and very little activity. You can imagine my excitement yesterday when I logged in to find that we hard surpassed the 10,000 member mark. Not to shabby considering we started at 0 only 20 months ago.
So if you haven’t yet become a member, you are missing out. Check it out and join in on the conversations. And to everyone that is already a member, thank you for your support and participation.
After attending the XChange Midsize Enterprise Summit West 2012, we are pleased to announce our XCellence Award for being the Best Midsize Enterprise Summit Newcomer! As new sponsors for the event, Ipswitch Network Management Division caught the eye of both attendees and vendors with the fun tailgating theme, complete with a cornhole game and Weber grill giveaway. The WhatsUp Gold team’s enthusiasm during the five day summit also helped in winning the award! WhatsUp Gold was also nominated for Best Solutions Pavilion Booth. Read more about the award and the event.
Click here to see a clip from the event!
The past two weeks have been a whirlwind for the Network Management division as we launched v16. We finally have a chance to look back on all we’ve accomplished – including a fantastic PC Magazine review.
Here is Fahmida Rashid’s conclusion about our new release:
WhatsUp Gold v16 from Ipswitch can take on practically every IT management related task necessary to keep the network humming, making it a solid Editor’s Choice among networking tools.
Developing v16, we focused on giving our customers everything they need to take total control of their networks – and making the day-to-day management as simple as possible. While there’s a lot of powerful functionality packed into this release, we’re most proud of a few new features:
- Wireless infrastructure management – BYOD has taken over the media and put immense pressure on network capacity and IT managers. In v16, you can track who is connected to your network, what devices they are using and where they are in real-time – and the impact on IT infrastructure. By historically logging this information, IT managers can now identify usage patterns and constraints.
- Integrated Layer 2/3 discovery and asset reporting – Network managers are already stretched too thin, and it’s easy to let a hiccup slip through the cracks. Simplify the process – and eliminate human error – with enhanced automation and intelligence.
- One download. One pane of glass – Once you’ve finally selected a network management provider, the last thing we want our customers to face is a complicated installation. You get all the power and value of WhatsUp Gold via a single download. This ease of use is also engrained in our product – with all monitoring tools and analytics you need for a healthy network in one, Web-based console.
We have to give a big shout out to our customers who helped lay the foundation for creating such a powerful product! If you haven’t seen it yet, check out what makes v16 stand out today.
October 15th is Blog Action Day. Thousands of bloggers around the world are taking to their blogs to raise awareness for this year’s topic: “The Power of We”. And of course we want to help spread the word too!
“The Power of We” recognizes those who come together to make a difference in the world. It is a day to recognize all those who believe in a cause and come together in support. Some of the largest social movements and charities of the globe are:
Community involvement is very important here at Ipswitch, Inc., with our iCare efforts committing five percent of our annual profits to a variety of community investment programs.
What will you do about Blog Action Day and what #powerofwe movements are you a part of?
I recently attended SecureWorld Detroit and engaged in two days of conversation with top security, IT and risk management professionals.
There was a single theme that I heard the loudest and clearest from the security community:
There is growing concern for how employees transfer files in an ad hoc manner to those outside the organization. Employees are quick to turn to DropBox or YouSendIt to step outside of file size limitations or email speed issues, without realizing the consequences of their actions.
We heard this consistently across multiple industries – Retail, Healthcare, Financial Services, Banking, Government, Automotive.
We heard this from organizations large, medium and small with requirements to manage file transfers with partners, customers or vendors, and in some cases with international and global reach.
It was said in different ways but it came down to the security teams seeing significant risk for leakage with their current situation today. Some soundbites:
- “We need a person to person file transfer solution”
- “My users want to send large files through YouSendIt. Right now I just keeping saying ‘No’, I’d rather have a solution to offer them.”
- “We need to support an ad hoc file transfer requirement for our users”
- “I have people using DropBox today. It is absolutely unacceptable from a security standpoint, but we need to offer them an alternative.”
This risk around person to person file transfer is not going away, it’s getting worse by the day as more and more employees rely on personal email and cloud based services to transfer data. The potential for leakage is amplified when you consider other data transfer devices such as USB drives and personal email use.
We have done extensive research in this area and we have a Research Report summarized in a graphical eBook which will be published later in October. Titled “Are Your Employees Putting Your Company’s Data at Risk?”, this report helps bring the current problems to life with a picture of how users are behaving today.
We’ve taken our award-winning WhatsUp Gold and added even more, powerful functionality to make your job easier. You’ll get more features out of the box at the lowest total cost of ownership in the industry. WhatsUp Gold v16 is enterprise-grade IT management for your networks, systems and applications brought together in a single pane of glass view. It truly is IT management made simple.
Feature-packed WhatsUp Gold v16 includes:
- Wireless infrastructure management. Ensure wireless network availability, track wireless user activity and bandwidth consumption and detect rogue users and access points.
- Integrated Layer 2/3 discovery and asset reporting. From within WhatsUp Gold, discover, map, track and document your entire infrastructure for an always up-to-date view of your network.
- Scalable IT management. WhatsUp Gold easily grows with your monitoring needs. One WhatsUp Gold server can manage tens of thousands of monitors and devices with new Scalability Pollers.
- One Download. One Pane of Glass. The full functionality of WhatsUp Gold v16 and its plug-ins integrated into a single Web console – so you can focus on managing your network instead of multiple application consoles.
- And much more…
The Network Detective is relieved that the case is officially closed – thanks to everyone for helping figure out who and what caused the TWC, Inc. network issues.
It was Tobey, from the Tech Support team, and he was online gaming (playing World of Warcraft during work hours!)
Congratulations to Matt McCoy – he was our random winner from the correct accusations.Thanks to all who played along, we hope you had as much fun playing as we did!
Stay tuned for more cases from the Network Detective….