Chapter 2: Getting Started
This chapter describes how to get started using WS_FTP Pro. The two main windows of the Classic Interface are described for you, and in the sidebar are step-by-step instructions on the basic functions of WS_FTP Pro.
Making your First Connection
Click here to view How to make your first connection!
The first time WS_FTP Pro is run, the Classic Interface opens with the Connect to Remote Host dialog displayed.
WS_FTP Pro uses Site Profiles to store information it needs to make a connection to an FTP site. This information includes:
- Hostname/IP Address. Every system (computer) on the Internet has an official host name or an Internet (IP) address. In order to connect to an FTP site, you must find out the official name or address of the site. For example, a system might have a host name of superserv.ipswitch.com and an IP address of 188.8.131.52. In WS_FTP Pro, you can use either the host name or the IP address to specify a particular FTP site.
- User ID. The User ID or user name is given to you by the FTP site administrator or owner when an account is created. For information on how to connect without a User ID, see "Anonymous Connections".
- Password. When an account is created, a password is chosen or issued to you. When used with the User ID, it allows you to connect to your FTP account.
- Site Options. There are many options you can set in a Site Profile that controls how WS_FTP Pro makes and maintains connections to an FTP Site. These options are set through the Site Options dialog that can be found by selecting a site and clicking the Edit button on the Connect to Remote Host dialog.
To get started using WS_FTP Pro, you have two choices. You can either connect to one of the sites we have included in the application, or you can create you own Site Profile and use that to connect to the FTP site you identify in the profile.
To connect to a pre-configured site, simply select the site from the Sites list on the Connect to Remote Host dialog and click the Connect button.
To configure your own site, click the Create Site button and follow the directions on the New Site wizard. Once you finish the wizard, you will be able to select your site and click Connect. From then on, your site profile will be there for you to use.
Transferring a File
Click here to view How to Transfer a file!
After making your connection, WS_FTP closes the Connection dialog, leaving the WS_FTP Pro window. The image below shows how the WS_FTP Pro window looks once you have connected to a site.
The following are boxes and window structures that are important in learning how to make an FTP transfer:
Local System. This box displays the directory set as your default local directory, and all of the files and folders in it. You can change directories by selecting it from the list, by clicking the Browse (...) button next to the Local System box, or by typing the folder path in the box.
Remote System. This box displays the default directory for the FTP site you connect to. You can change directories by selecting it from the list, by clicking the Browse (...) button next to the Remote System box, or by typing the folder path in the box.
Address. The Address bar displays the complete path of the FTP Site you are connected to. If you type this address in manually, the Address bar will record the last ten sites and folders you have connected to.
WS_FTP Pro Toolbar
Connect. Click this icon to select or configure a site to connect to, using the Connection Dialog box.
Disconnect. Click this icon to disconnect from a site.
Transfer Manager. Click this icon to display the Transfer Manager. For more information, see "Chapter 7: WS_FTP Transfer Manager".
Batch Mode. Click this icon to place WS_FTP in Batch Mode. In this mode, selected files will be added to the Transfer Manager to be transferred later.
Options. Click this icon to access WS_FTP Program Options.
Large Icons. Click this icon to change the layout of the list pane to show file names along with large icons associated with the file type.
Small Icons. Click this icon to change the layout of the list pane to show file names along with small icons associated with the file type.
List. Click this icon to change the layout of the list pane to show an ordered list of files in a selected directory.
Details. Click this icon to change the layout of the list pane to show an ordered list of files with the name, size, type, time of last modification, and attributes listed.
Help. Click this icon to access the WS_FTP Pro online help system.
To log on to any FTP site, you must identify yourself with a user ID and password. For many FTP sites, you can use the word anonymous as a User ID, and your E-mail address as your password; this is known as an "anonymous login." (All of the Ipswitch preconfigured FTP sites are set up as anonymous logins.)
FTP sites that allow anonymous logins usually exist to provide files that can be downloaded by the general public; anyone on the Internet can log onto the site anonymously and copy files to their PC. This is similar to logging on to a file server as a "guest."
Anonymous logins have access to a vast store of software, games, music, and numerous other resources. However, if you log in anonymously, you usually are not allowed to do more than view public folders and download files. (You are usually unable to view private folders or to upload files.)
The WS_FTP Pro Assistance Center has been created to help new users get up and running with WS_FTP Pro as quickly as possible, and to give more experienced users quick access to our online support.
The Assistance Center includes:
- Tutorials. Our interactive tutorials are available to anyone with a connection to the internet. The two lessons walk users through how to get connected to an FTP site and how to successfully transfer files.
- Getting Started Guide. This guide offers information on how to get started using WS_FTP Pro, and a tour of the product that points out various functions.
- Common Terms and Definitions. Look here for a list of common terms and phrases used in our documentation.
- Link to our Knowledge Base. You can also directly access the Knowledge Base articles through this link.
Using the Help System
Our Online Help system contains detailed descriptions and directions on how to use each and every function available in WS_FTP Pro. It should be the first place you look if you have any question using the product.Some sites are set up for you when you install WS_FTP Pro. You can connect to one of these or configure your own.
When you select a configured site, the host information for that site is displayed in the Host Info tab of the Site Options dialog.
Access this dialog by selecting a site and clicking the Edit button.